In-Mold Decorating and In-Mold Labeling Automation
Explore more examples of our automation solutions for in-mold decorating (IMD) and in-mold labeling (IML).
Lenticular Label End of Arm Tool
Custom end of arm tool for automated loading of lenticular labels into pseudo cavities to pre-stage the lenses at the cavity centers for in-mold decorating (IMD) of plastic injection molded cups
Label Nest With Motion
Custom high tolerance label nest with motion for plastic in-mold labeling (IML) / in-mold decorating (IMD) automation
Multi-Label End of Arm Tool
Custom end of arm tool (EOAT) for multi-label application, with built in Pinner bars and servo rotation motion, for plastic in-mold labeling (IML) / in-mold decorating (IMD) automation
In-Mold Labeling End of Arm Tool
Custom end of arm tool (EOAT) with Simco static charging tetra bars for automated plastic in-mold labeling (IML)
IMD / IML Automation
Robotic Automation Systems specializes in the automation of in-mold decorating (IMD) and in-mold labeling (IML) operations used in plastic injection molding, presses from 15 to 6,000 tons.
- Top Entry/3-Axis Robots – Most conventional
- Side Entry Robots – Faster cycles or if space constraints
- 6-Axis Robots – Flexible automation for upstream/downstream operations or ceiling height constraints
Complete turnkey solutions or automation integration for specific applications:
- Outdoor Durable and Packaging
- Flat, Contoured, and Cup/Container
- IML, Foil, and Lenticular
- Single and Multi-Cavity Applications
- Vacuum or Static Label Placement (direct or remote)
- Specialized Cup Automation Cells (single and multi-cavity, two plate or stack mold)
- Label Nest (with/without motion)
- Custom Human Machine Interface (HMI)
Use Robotic Automation Systems in-mold decorating (IMD) and in-mold labeling (IML) automation for:
- Faster and Consistent Cycles
- Accurate and Repeatable Label/Decoration Placement
- Increased Operator Safety
- Less Waste
Decorations or labeling via in-mold decorating (IMD) and in-mold labeling (IML) offers numerous advantages and more marketing appeal and options over hot stamping or pad printing, including:
- Up to 5 Color Process in One Shot
- Barcode, Including Sequential Barcodes (for tracking)
- Higher Durability/Scratch Resistant
- Decoration/Labeling Integrated into the Part (better adherence)
- Impervious to UV, Power Washing, Gas, Acid and Other Outdoor Conditions
- Enables Shoot & Ship
- Less Scrap/Waste
Robotic Automation Systems in-mold decorating (IMD) and in-mold labeling (IML) automation employ 3-axis robots (top entry robots), side entry robots and 6-axis robots (articulated robots) matched specifically to the application, from manufacturers including WEMO Robots, Wittmann Robots, ABB Robotics, Epson Robots, FANUC Robotics, Staubli Robotics and Yamaha Robotics.
Turnkey automation custom designed for your application addresses label/decoration verification, including label nest verifying location and features, vision inspection verifying orientation and correct label/decoration, bar code scan verifying readability and matching for multiple bar codes, and test fixtures for inspection of incoming labels/decoration for static, curling and blocking.
End of Arm Tooling
Robotic Automation Systems designs and builds all types of custom end of arm tooling for in-mold decorating (IMD) and in-mold labeling (IML) automation, including confirmation of label pick up, label control to hold label flat to the mold, label placement, and part picking (fixed or movable side), static insulation (remote or direct) and docking for accuracy and repeatability.
Turnkey Automation Cells
Our custom turnkey IMD / IML cells are complete, including the robot, end of arm tooling (EOAT), table, label nest, guarding and include assembly, installation, and training and support.
Contact Robotic Automation Systems for more examples of our automation solutions for plastic in-mold decorating (IMD) and plastic in-mold labeling (IML), or to start a conversation about how we might help you with your specific application.